Nov 29, 2010

Don't Call Me Your Girlfriend

Boyfriend remote controlBoyfriend Remote Control by m-c via Flickr
Is it now the norm to assume you are dating someone after hanging out for a few weeks?

I'm wanting the answer, in this situation, to be no. This is absolutely ridiculous....right? Just cause you are hanging out with someone for a little while, doesn't mean that you are officially boyfriend/girlfriend, I mean, there's supposed to be a awkward conversation before this takes change takes place. One of those, soooo what are we? talks. 

The problem is, that if you are the one not wanting to be official, the simple fact of bringing this topic of conversation up, even if only to say that you do not want to be dating anyone and are not comfortable with the idea of being exclusive, automatically makes things more serious. 

Instead of taking this route, I have been taking the much more mature (ha!) path of simple hint dropping. Such as: getting drunk and dancing to songs about being a single girl, talking to other boys, and emphatically denying to anyone and everyone that I am dating. As long as I say I'm single, then I'm single. So....I'm single goddammit.

And it's not my fault if someone misunderstands and thinks that I am just saying that I don't want a boyfriend just to be cute and funny and hard to get, thereby tricking them into wanting to date me, which apparently is every girl's only desire. 

Yes, in case you are wondering, this is what I am sitting here trying to convince myself of right now...while pretending to study...while Brad is sulking in the cubical next to me... after following me to the library...because I refuse to kiss him in public. 

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I didn't know hint-dropping is the mature path. Apparently, I'm terribly mature.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled across your blog, and even reading the first post, I had to completely agree!

    I'm seeing the boy for about two months, and while people have assumed I'm his girlfriend (and most of the time I'd like to be), I still feel like we have to have "the chat" to see if that's where this is heading!

    Now I'm off to read some more of your luffly blog!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dreading that talk...

    I'm just a blunt asshole when someone starts to get annoying. Most guys don't like it. But hey, it is what it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the simple fact of bringing this topic of conversation up, even if only to say that you do not want to be dating anyone and are not comfortable with the idea of being exclusive, automatically makes things more serious. "

    WHAT?! Shenanigans. I've brought this talk up TWICE. And I still, emphatically, say that I'm single.

    Sure, 6 months have gone by, but as long as you don't OFFICIALLY say anything different, you can never assume a relationship.

    Nice BLOG (sorry, just wanted to capitalize one more thing),

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete